May 2, 2008

Life Changes With Role Changes















Life can be truly amusing at times. I remember. a year ago...I used to sit in front of InstallShield DevStudio (For newbies :) this happens to be the place where installation/setup developers add files, create shortcuts and the stuff which can either make your application work or not work...simple) and break my head over why our product service pack is not able to upgrade to a newer release. This used to be my work routine:
1. Build a package.
2. Test the package. Tests normally successful during the development phase.
3. Go home, eat, drink....In short enjoy life.
4. On the D Day "When we are in the acceptance testing phase", UPGRADE FAILS. (In fact, I will be damned if it works).

And somehow, the last task used to be in this while loop

public static void RepeatTask4(void)
{
bFlag=true;
while (bFlag)
{
RepeatTask4() ;
return;
}
}

Some how, in my case, I never hit return, till it became a memory fault or I shutdown the process manually (which was anyways not possible). Then I, along-with my partner in crime, Kajal, used to think of alternatives. MST, MSP, MS(Something, please work). And lo behold, it used to work. (Please don't ask why...or how...That's the way Windows Installer works so let's keep it at that).

So life was going on this way and I was beginning to get worried when I would come out of this loop mess.

Then one fine day, my manager called me and gifted me with the role of Product Management for our product. WOW...Can you believe it...I was going to now be at the other side of the fence...ensuring our product is friendly enough for the end user (So now I talk in terms of Framework, application, middleware and ofcourse...to some extent...INSTALLATION :D). Now my task routine has changed to the following (Of course I have more responsibilities. I am outlining the common tasks between previous role and the new one):

1. ASK KAJAL TO Build a package.
2. ASK KAJAL TO Test the package. Tests normally successful during the development phase.
3. ASK KAJAL TO Go home, eat, drink....In short enjoy life.
4. CONFIRM WITH KAJAL IF, On the D Day "When we are in the acceptance testing phase", UPGRADE FAILS.

And somehow, the last task is now:

public static void RepeatTask4(string InformKajal)
{
bFlag=true;
while (bFlag)
{
RepeatTask4("Please fix this as soon as possible") ;
return;
}
}

3 comments:

The God Of Tall Things said...

he he, so you're into project management now.

Unknown said...

hmm... BTW, did Kajal read this blog? Welcome to blogosphere.

Orangeman said...

Cool seeing you here!! Happy blogging!!